COVID-19 UPDATE: Our office remains open. However, health and safety for our team members, our families, and our clients is our priority and so everyone is working remotely. Our office is well-equipped for this as we have done this for several years. At this time, all appointments will be conducted via video and telephone. Call our number to schedule your appointment today.
Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status FAQ - Katrina S. Zafiro

Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status FAQ

Adjustment of status is the process through which you can obtain lawful permanent residency, also known as your “green card,” when you are already physically located in the United States. You can apply for adjustment of status in the family category, the employment category, or the refugee category. In today’s blog, we’ll focus on answering some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the family-based category, specifically for those seeking marriage-based adjustment of status. 

How do I begin the adjustment of status process?

First and foremost, you need to find an experienced immigration attorney to guide you. When it comes to immigration, even the smallest mistake can have disastrous consequences. Don’t risk going into it on your own. Your attorney will help you get started by filling out USCIS Form I-485, among many other forms, which is intended to prove that you are eligible to become a permanent resident. 

How long will the adjustment of status process take?

This will depend on many factors that are unique to you. In general, you can expect the adjustment of status process to take anywhere from 8 months to 14 months. 

Can my application be denied?

Yes! Adjustment of status is a privilege, not a right. Even seemingly minor mistakes can trigger a rejection. That’s part of the reason it is so important to get everything right on the first try. 

Can I apply for adjustment of status if I entered the United States unlawfully before getting married? 

If you entered the United States unlawfully, it will make it much more difficult for you to get a green card. In some very rare cases it is possible that you could qualify to apply for adjustment of status under old laws, but in the vast majority of cases you cannot. You will have to apply for your green card/permanent resident status through consular processing, and you are likely to be subject to a three- or ten-year bar from the United States unless you obtain a waiver.

I am married to a U.S. citizen and I want to begin the adjustment of status process. Who can help me?

If you need help with these matters, contact Attorney Katrina S. Zafiro of Zafiro Law today. Zafiro Law focuses on family law and immigration matters. We are passionate about helping our clients achieve peace of mind while navigating complex processes like this one. To learn more about how we can help you, contact us today!

The following two tabs change content below.

Zafiro Law

As an attorney, I am passionate about helping my clients achieve peace of mind in navigating the complex areas of family law and immigration law. Your case will get my full and dedicated attention—whether you are seeking to navigate the complexities of your family law matter or overcome the challenges of your immigration law case.

Latest posts by Zafiro Law (see all)

%d bloggers like this: