COVID-19 UPDATE: Our office remains open. However, health and safety for our team members, our families, and our clients is our priority and so everyone is working remotely. Our office is well-equipped for this as we have done this for several years. At this time, all appointments will be conducted via video and telephone. Call our number to schedule your appointment today.
What You Need to Know About Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas - Katrina S. Zafiro

What You Need to Know About Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas

Albert Einstein once encouraged people to “rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life.” It’s a wonderful concept, but sometimes life takes us miles away from those we love.

Perhaps you came to the US on an employment-based visa to occupy a vacant executive position at your employer’s US subsidiary. You enjoyed the work, made close friends among your colleagues and neighbors, and finally adjusted your status as a permanent resident. Now you’ve become a US citizen and want your children and your parents, who have been taking care of them in your absence, to join you here.

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas Explained

When you want to sponsor your minor children and parents to come to the US, you file an immediate relative petition. Immigration law classifies immediate relatives as the spouse, unmarried minor children, or parents of US citizens. (In the latter case, the US citizen child must be over the age of 21.)

Immediate relatives of US citizens have immigration priority, meaning that they don’t have to wait for a visa number to become available before you can apply to have them join you. In this respect, the process is different from preference relatives, which are the family members of green card holders and certain relatives of US citizens.

In your case, your children and parents live abroad, so you would file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with USCIS. If you were petitioning for a spouse, however, you could apply for a K-3 visa while the I-130 is being processed so that he or she could join you here, and then file an I-485 to adjust their status after they arrive.

Once USCIS advises the National Visa Center (NVC) that the I-130 has been approved, the following events occur:

  • The NVC will contact you and your relatives with instructions on how to submit the immigrant visa application and associated documents and pay the fees.
  • An interview will be scheduled at the US embassy or consulate closest to where your family lives.
  • After an interview with a consular officer, you and your family must wait until all background checks have been completed and a decision is made.
  • If the immigrant visas are approved, your relatives will receive their passports with US visas. They must join you here before the visa expires.
  • Your family member will have to pay an immigrant fee to cover the costs of producing their green card.

Your parents and children become permanent residents once they enter the US and will receive their green cards at the address provided during the interview at the embassy or consulate.

What if Your Family is Already Here?

If your relatives were already in the US, you would file form I-130 and they could concurrently file I-485 to adjust their status to permanent resident. This approach has a few caveats, namely:

  • Your family members must be in the country legally.
  • They must be physically present in the country at the time of filing.
  • The family relationship must exist at the time of filing. For example, if you were applying for a spouse, you must be legally married and not merely engaged.
  • Your family members must not have any conditions that would prevent the adjustment of status, such as a criminal record or previous violations of immigration law. It is, however, possible to waive these inadmissibility issues by filing Form I-601, although success will depend on the person’s individual circumstances.

Contact a Seattle Immigration Attorney

Immediate relative immigrant visas involve a lot of paperwork and can be complicated by several factors. At Zafiro Law, attorney Katrina Zafiro will ensure that all necessary documentation is accurate and filed on time. If you are filing a marriage-based petition, which requires an interview with an immigration officer, Katrina will accompany you to the interview to ensure that your rights are protected. To schedule a consultation with her today, call 206-547-9906.

The following two tabs change content below.

Zafiro Law

As an attorney, I am passionate about helping my clients achieve peace of mind in navigating the complex areas of family law and immigration law. Your case will get my full and dedicated attention—whether you are seeking to navigate the complexities of your family law matter or overcome the challenges of your immigration law case.

Latest posts by Zafiro Law (see all)

%d bloggers like this: